What is HEADSTRONG?
HEADSTRONG is an evidence-based anti-stigma initiative created by the Mental Health Commission of Canada (MHCC). It inspires youth ages 12-18 to Be Brave, Reach Out and Speak Up about mental health. HEADSTRONG teaches students how to reduce stigma and become mental health champions in their schools.
HEADSTRONG is a 2-part model for change:
1) The Summit – A HEADSTRONG summit brings together small groups of students from various schools for an exciting day of learning. They will:
- hear stories of hope and recovery from speakers with lived experience
- participate in stigma-busting activities
- design action plans to use when they return to school
A Summit Team supports the event, striving to ensure that Summit participants have a great experience and the goals of the Summit are reached.
2) Taking HEADSTRONG to schools
Student Summit attendees start an in-school HEADSTRONG committee with other interested students and the support of a staff member. Students use their own creativity and use activity toolkits to hold awareness and education activities for the whole school.
For More Information
For more information about HEADSTRONG, please call 668-6429 or send an email to email@example.com.
See this YouTube video link to find out more about what a HEADSTRONG Summit looks like.